This week we hooked up with latest epic bundle of talent to hail from Brum – Jamie, Nick, James and Daniel aka The Traps. With their new single having just dropped and being big fans of it ourselves, we thought it was high time we caught up with the guys on everything from what they’ve been up to recently to how they came up with the idea for their new video.
We predict big things for this amazing 4 piece so get behind them and keep it locked.
1. Hi Guys, So fill us in on what you’ve been up to recently?
Hi, we’ve been recording an album and releasing a couple of singles. The album ‘Calypso’ is going to be out at the start of next year.
2. Explain to us how you came to be The Traps, have you known each other forever or is playing as a band a relatively new thing for you?
We’ve known each other forever, we met in German lessons, through the same guitar teacher and from having the same parents. All of those apply to different members of the band but the crux of it is, we’ve known each other and played music together for a long time.
3. Describe your sound in 5 words?
Big, energetic, fist pumping tunes
4. You’re second single ‘Moving Pictures’ was released to the world last week (November 19th) What’s the inspiration behind the track and what’s the reaction to it been like?
The reaction has been great so far. The song and the whole album is inspired by the character of Calypso from the Odyssey and her character’s flaws and traits.
5. We’re big fans of the video – How did you come up with the idea for it?
Before starting work on the videos for both Moving Pictures and Your Headland, we decided that, as this would be most people’s first introduction to the band and the material from our debut album, that we wanted to try and show subtle tones in the imagery we used to get across the theme of the record.
Then hopefully by the time the album comes out next year people will already be familiar with who The Traps are and what the album ‘Calypso’ is about, hence the inclusion of the image in the picture frame. Our bass player Nick worked with a good friend and skater of ours Benni Hughes and together they shot, created and edited the video. We wanted something that was fast moving/high tempo but had a good mix of dulcet tones that supported the track and its dynamic changes and I think we got that.
6. What gets you up in the morning the music, the money or the women?
It’s an easy question to answer as the latter two are still eluding us but of course it’s the music. We’ve known each other a long time and still, making music in The Traps is the most creative and enjoyable thing any of us have done with our lives.
7. Difficult question we know but hit us up with the best gig you’ve ever played and why?
We played at Exit Festival in Serbia, in front of a nuts crowd and the gig was projected onto the side of Petravardian fortress I’d say that was the best show. We also played in New York too which was obviously great and once shared a plate of sandwiches with Leona Lewis and Little Chris backstage.
8. You’re invisible for the day – what goes down?
We find Leona Lewis and Little Chris and relive that sandwich moment, only they wouldn’t know we were there, or where all the sandwiches kept going. Otherwise, the usual sinister stuff.
9. What kind of /Who’s music do you listen to when you’re getting ready for a gig?
Television – Marquee Moon. At the moment we’re playing the new Tame Impala, Grizzly Bear, and Efterklang alot.
10. Give us a cheeky insight into plans for 2013?
An album release, a single in January ‘Calypso’ and as many shows as we can muster.
11. Any thanks to anyone?
Just to Leona and Chris for the memories and above all to Fly53 of course.
Check out their new single, ‘Moving Pictures,’ right here right now. With one condition – Kick back and turn it up loud.